Kitchen Mis/Adventures? – Or Where I Attempt to Explain Asian Marinades Whilst Wine-Drunk

Oven-roasted broccoli and Roma tomatoes

 

 


Salmon filet
Asian glaze for both

_MG_0898

I’m not quite sure if this salmon turned out overdone or just right.

The charring was limited to the skin and was obviously a result of the

glazing.  That was the point? 

And herein is where I attempt to explain my

marinade, or at least, what my wine-drunk mind imagines the definitions of the ingredients used to make it:

   
Mirin: It’s some kind of sweetened rice wine, perhaps fortified.  Syrupy.

 

   Not to be confused with…
Rice Wine: OK, so this is somehow different from mirin.  It’s definitely a cooking wine, though less sweet and thinner.


Soy Sauce: The ever-present salty swill somehow made from beans, which are occasionally a desert.


Siracha: I’m pretty sure this red “cock sauce” is actually made in Brooklyn and not Thai at all, but oh well.  Best paired with Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich.  Somehow fulfills my naive notion that spiciness = less fat. _MG_0906 Don’t tell me if that’s not true.
Lemon: Because you need a little sour in every marinade.
Garlic and Onion Powder: Because sometimes it’s too hard to julienne.
Thai Basil: Which didn’t actually make it into this marinade, though I did chop it.  Or maybe I meant to chop it.  It’s totally growing in the Aerogarden, so I at least get credit for that.  What a better use for Thai basil would there be?  Exactly.
Sesame Oil: Serves the same purpose as olive oil, except it has like 100x the flavor, albeit in a somewhat already cooked way.  Not to be overused.
Olive Oil: Because you can’t overdo the sesame oil.


Salt & Pepper: Not to be confused with Salt-n-Pepa, rappers.

_MG_0913I sautéed the skin side first, as one should, and was disturbed by the blackness upon first flip.  Huzzah wuzzah?!  Not that I’m racist or anything.  When I flipped it once again onto the plate, I was met with this gorgeous and miraculous golden red color.  Success?

0 Comments:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP